[meteorite-list] Novato update (All recent falls unapproved, not just Novato)

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 15:33:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Mike and List,

No need to apologize, I agree completely with the following statement you made in your earlier post:

Everybody wins when the specimen is classified and approved via an
open, transparent, and "official" manner.

To me, dealers who self-pair, steal nomenclature used to describe another meteorite and piggyback off of those who follow the rules are committing a great disservice to the rest of the community.

One or two dealers think nothing of plagiarizing copyrighted scientific documents that describe official meteorites in a effort to add an air of authenticity to their untested material!? These self-paired meteorites are virtually worthless because they have no real name, cannot be published in scientific papers and collectors will not maintain any real long-term value.? Everybody loses except the dealer who was either too cheap or too lazy to follow the rules.

Fortunately, I would estimate that 99% of community sees the value in following the rules,

Adam

?

?