[meteorite-list] Meteorite Challenge were you could win a $3000 prize

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 19:56:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Listers
?
I came across this article today about a challenge involving meteorites and visualizing the data collected from these rare stones in a artist format that could win you $3000 in prizes.
?
Check it out at the link below :)
?
Also if your going to enter the contest, be interesting to see if there are some people teaming up or there thoughts on some ways of presenting data in a visual manner. I come from a artist back ground with a BFA in fine art with a concentration in photography, and with in minutes of reading the article and looking at data sets that people had done with other data, I have came up with a great idea for the contest, however, I have no clue on how to execute it because it would involve programing, drafting programs and other stuff, but who knows, be interesting to team up with people on the challenge :)
?
Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
ebay store
http://www.ebay.com/sch/imca1633ny/m.html
http://meteoritefalls.com/
?
?
The source?http://www.visualizing.org/contests/visualizing-meteorites
?
Visualizing Meteorites
?
From the 7,000 ton meteorite that fell in Chelyabinsk to the current debate on the ?Mercury meteorite?, meteorites have recently made headlines. Russia announced $50 billion in new space spending, and despite cuts, NASA?s recently released budget outlines a plan to tow an asteroid closer to Earth for study. The need to understand more about our solar system is clear, and meteorites (and other objects from space) provide a valuable opportunity to do so.
The Meteoritical Society has a massive database of all the recorded meteorites that have collided with Earth dating as far back as 2500 BCE, providing the most comprehensive public picture of known meteorite collisions. Your challenge is to use data and design to visualize meteorites ? help us understand more by exploring its type, mass or location. Using the Meteoritical Society?s database, we?ve seen visualizations by The Guardian and Javier de la Torre that map meteorite landings but we?re looking to go beyond that. What else can this data set tell us? What have meteorite collisions looked like over time? Are there any patterns or parts of the world that are more likely to be hit? Was the Chelyabinsk meteorite collision normal or an anomaly? Feel free to use additional data sets that can contribute deeper insight.
For this challenge, we?re excited to partner with FreeStructure, a three-day gathering happening this July in San Francisco that will bring together industry professionals and experts to explore ways to maximize data?s potential. As part of the prize, we?re offering the winner one pass and....we?ll also be at FreeStructure for a Visualizing/FreeStructure Marathon. We look forward to meeting you!