[meteorite-list] New BLM Rules

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 09:48:48 -0400

Hi List,

The new rule is missing a chromosome. (to put it nicely)

But, if they are going to let this madness stand, then at least they
should distinguish between a fresh fall and old finds. Perhaps an
exception can be made for the recovery of new falls? If a new fall
happens over BLM land, the manager for that area could be informed and
he/she could waive the rule for that event.

Also, I agree with what some of the others here have already said.
All this will do is push meteorite hunting into the black market -
just like arrowheads and fossils.

Authority : "Do you have paperwork for that arrowhead/fossil?"

Finder : "No, it comes from an old collection back in the 1930's, it's
grandfathered in." (wink)

Best regards,

MikeG

--