[meteorite-list] camera fringing effects

From: Mendy Ouzillou <ouzillou_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 08:53:14 -0700

Hello everyone,

I hope you are all (for those in the US) enjoying the long holiday weekend.
I have been researching cameras to take macro shots and taking photographs
through my microscope. One thing I keep noticing is that many pictures
taken by fellow list member seem to have a fringing/blurriness on the
outside of the image. In other words, the center of the image is in focus
and the outside is not. I?ve noticed this as well with my photographs taken
with my little Nikon Coolpix S8200 camera on any shot taken in macro mode.

Question is, what causes this problem and what reasonably priced camera or
camera+lens do you recommend that takes great macro shots an can be used
with a microscope. Regarding the microscope photography, I was told to buy
a standalone camera and hold it up to the eyepiece (which works very well by
the way). However; if a microscope adapter is available, please let me
know.

Here is some feedback I have already received:
1) Canon 16 Mega Pixel Powershot?A3300 IS?. But the Cannon Elph series is
very good also and the smaller cameras?are better because they don't cast
shadows on your subjects.
2) Nikon D300 (nice but expensive).
3) Sony DSC-W570 16.1MP

Thanks!