[meteorite-list] OT- Hurricane Sandy

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 19:09:10 -0400

Hi Friends in Northeast US,

As an unfortunate veteran of riding out hurricanes, I understand the
anxious anticipation and dread of an impending landfall of a
hurricane. I've ridden out quite a few, including Katrina less than
50 miles west of the point of landfall - that was a scary one to ride
out in a 80-yo wood frame house and feeling the entire house vibrate
on the foundation. The pipes were rattling so hard and the ground was
shaking (during the worst of it), that it felt like an earthquake
combined with a tornado.

Living most of my life on the Gulf Coast of the US, I've ridden out a
few close or direct hits, boarded up the house for several, and
evacuated entirely for another. The evacuation should have been an 11
hour ride, which turned into a 26-hour hell drive.

At any rate, heed the warnings. If the local authorities issue a
mandatory evacuation, heed that order and leave. If you are under a
mandatory evac and you choose to remain in place, you will not have
emergency services at your call later if you get into trouble. You
are on your own if you decide to ride out a storm inside an area where
the authorities cannot get to you.

Do not put tape on your windows. I've seen people do that, again and
again, as a cheap/lazy alternative to boarding up.

Power outages can be lengthy in events like this. So, if you have a
generator, make sure you have plenty of fuel for it. If you don't
have a generator, then stock up on flashlights, lanterns, batteries,
and candles.

A propane powered camp stove is also a good idea, especially if your
house has an electric stove that will be useless during a power
outage. At least you can boil water to make coffee and keep some of
your humanity that way. ;)

Cordless landline phones will also be down. So make sure you have an
old-school landline that doesn't need power. Have a spare charged
battery for your cellphone also, if possible. One of those little
solar-powered battery chargers is handy for extensive outages.

For for god's sake, stay off the roads during the event if at all possible. :)

Stay safe,

MikeG

--
Web - http://www.galactic-stone.com