[meteorite-list] SF Chronicle - Dismissed 'rock' a meteorite after all

From: Alan Rubin <aerubin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 08:20:21 -0700

I just read the article in the Chronicle and send this e-mail to the writer:

David:
    I just read your article and have a correction to make. I understand
that it is easy to confuse unfamiliar terms, and it probably makes no
difference to the vast majority of your readers. However, what I said was
that "chondrules" are igneous objects that solidified from molten spherules
in the solar nebula. Chondrites are rocks that contain the chondrules.
Chondrites are not igneous rocks. Igneous rocks have been melted;
chondrites have not. If the chondrites had been melted, the chondrules
inside of them would have been melted also and would have disappeared. For
meteorite researchers this is a fundamental point. Chondrites are unmelted,
agglomerated rocks that preserve inclusions from the earliest history of the
solar system. These inclusions include the chondrules.
Alan

Alan Rubin
Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics
University of California
3845 Slichter Hall
603 Charles Young Dr. E
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1567