[meteorite-list] NASA Seeks Concepts for Innovative Uses of Large Space Telescopes

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 10:46:36 -0800 (PST)

Nov. 27, 2012

J.D. Harrington
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-5241
j.d.harrington at nasa.gov

Janet Anderson
Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, Ala.
256-544-6162
janet.l.anderson at nasa.gov

RELEASE: 12-403

NASA SEEKS CONCEPTS FOR INNOVATIVE USES OF LARGE SPACE TELESCOPES

WASHINGTON -- NASA is exploring options for innovative and imaginative
uses of two large space telescopes recently transferred to the
agency. In a request for information (RFI) published Monday, NASA
seeks information about system concepts and architectures that would
take advantage of these assets to address NASA's goals in
astrophysics, heliophysics, planetary sciences, and human
spaceflight.

"Because there are two telescopes, there is room for projects that
span the gamut of the imagination," said Michael Moore, a senior
program executive at NASA Headquarters in Washington. "They range
from simple balloon flights to complex missions in science using new
technologies under development and the capabilities available with
the International Space Station and our commercial space flight
partners."

The telescopes are equivalent to NASA's Hubble Space Telescope in
aperture, but designed to have a much wider field of view. They
already are being studied for possible use as a wide field infrared
survey observatory, which would address the top priority
recommendation in the National Research Council's 2010 Astrophysics
Decadal Survey. NASA is seeking alternative goals and unique
approaches in order to expand the range of concepts for use of this
capable hardware.

The RFI invites interested parties to provide an outline of their
concept in enough detail for a next-step assessment by NASA as it
prepares for future investments in diverse areas of science and
technology. Respondents who submit the most interesting concepts will
be invited to present their ideas at a workshop in Huntsville, Ala.,
in early February 2013.

"We will give all ideas equal consideration and choose the most
promising for further study," said Marc Allen, acting deputy
associate administrator for research in NASA's Science Mission
Directorate. "We want to tap into innovative ideas wherever we can
find them in order to optimize use of these telescope assets."

For more information about the RFI, NASA goals and objectives, details
on the telescopes, and other supporting information, visit:

http://science.nasa.gov/salso

-end-