[meteorite-list] Admire Pallasite Destruction!

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 10:44:32 -0800 (PST)

I appreciate the kind words.

I find it funny that you mention a 16" saw needing a lot of coolant. I almost went broke filling up my 24" Highlands Park with 100 gallons of mineral oil.? When the price of mineral oil went from $2.79 a gallon to over $6.00 gallon, I finally switched to purified water knowing that the saw had to be cleaned and dried after every session.? I don't know if anybody has cleaned the sludge out of a big saw running oil as a coolant but it can take weeks due to filtering.? I have done it several times and don't wish this task upon anyone.

More important than equipment is the operator.? The real costs can be measured in time.? It takes a great deal of time to prepare meteorites right.? I have seen "meteorite preparers" go from 80 grit to 600 grit skipping every grit in-between without even cleaning the polisher.? They may have saved a few hours worth of work but the end product looks like crap.? Hurried workmanship and shortcuts may save a dealer a few bucks but it will leave an indelibly bad impression on the collector who will spend his hard-earned money on other things once dissatisfaction sets in.

It seems pride in workmanship is one of the first things to go in a competitive and depressed market.? There are still a few craftsman who do it right but I see more and more poorly prepared material than ever before.? Some find it acceptable to deal in slices that haven't even been polished.? Saw marks can be seen on specimens all over eBay and in some major auction houses including planetary slices!? The standards are much lower these days than they were ten years ago.

The good news is that there are some dealers still ready and willing to put in the time but you will more than likely not find them on eBay.? You will find that most that do it right actually enjoy cutting and polishing and are proud of the final product.

Best Regards,

Adam