[meteorite-list] NASA SETI Misappropriation of Tax Payer Funds

From: Greg Hupé <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 16:10:15 -0400

To All Concerned US Tax Payers...

I have been troubled by what is a clear misappropriation of US tax payer
funds by NASA/SETI. At a time of this country's financial crisis, this is no
time to squander our tax dollars!!

We have all seen and read about 'The Blimp" that was, as stated in the
article link below, "... a NASA-hired airship." Not only are they using a
privately owned "Blimp" for frivolous and far-fetched 'research', but they
are also giving free joy rides to private citizens as stated from the
article, "Glenn Rivera [a private citizen] was invited by astronomers
[NASA/SETI] to hunt for more meteorite crash-landing sites from a NASA-hired
airship."

In recent conversations, I and many of my colleagues and some NASA
scientists (who wish to remain anonymous), have all concluded that finding
meteorites [of any size] is completely impossible and a waste of tax payer
dollars! How can one think you can spot a black rock the size of a dime, a
golf ball or even a basketball from an altitude of 1000 feet?

The only entity that benefits from these dream hunts is the private company
who owns "The Blimp". They get paid by NASA for use of "The Blimp" and they
also benefit from all of the free advertising with their logos and web
addresses emblazoned on the sides of "The Blimp"!

As far as I am concerned, hunting for meteorites floating in the sky is full
of hot air!

Here is the link the the article I reference:
http://novato.patch.com/articles/hunt-goes-on-for-more-meteorites#photo-12000260

Best Regards,
Greg

Greg Hup?