[meteorite-list] SUTTER'S MILL in MetBull

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 20:02:04 -0400

Hi Jeff and List,

I think the speedy approval and publication is a great service to the
meteorite community as a whole (science and laypeople alike), because
it provides authoritative data during an event that is still
unfolding, and this might help prevent some misunderstandings or
misinformation that could have resulted without a published
classification. Great job on getting it done quick. :)

On the other hand, I am a bit puzzled by the temporary "place-holder"
type of "C - Carbonaceous". I understand what it means and why it was
selected. However, this seems unusual for an approval that is
published in the database. We don't see this very often. In the
past, the release of an approved classification was usually withheld
until a more definitive conclusion was reached on the petrologic type.
 In other words, we don't see too many of these "placeholder"
classification types. Am I wrong, or did Sutter's Mill merit this
because of it's important and unusual nature?

Best regards,

MikeG
--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - MikeG