[meteorite-list] Sutter Mill snkes

From: GeoZay at aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 19:05:53 -0400 (EDT)

>>George: you are right, the gopher snake and the king snake can both look
pretty imposing and are typically run over by misinformed motorists.
Those snakes do a lot to get rid of rodents, etc. Now I was born here
over 67 years ago, but must confess that I spent a few years in Grad
school outside the state.<<

Well....during my life, I've lived roughly 10 years out of state due to
military and the sort...but rest of the time lived in california. Being in
the fire service for over 30 years, I've been on quite a few snake calls of
all kinds it seems. About equally gopher snakes, king snakes and several
varieties of rattle snakes. The king snakes we often would kill because they
were in the neighborhoods where kids play. But the king snakes and gopher
snakes we try to convince the callers of their beneficial status. If it seemed
 that they would kill it still after we leave, I'd try to catch them live
and turn them loose at the station to feast on the gophers we have living
there. Getting back to rattlesnakes....I recall killing a western
diamondback that was about 4 1/2 feet long, but was about 4 or 5 inches in diameter.
I thought I came upon a short anaconda or something. :O) Also lassoed a
rattlesnake that was over 6 feet long and had 15 rattles. My snake rod seemed
as if I was trying to reel in a large tuna or something. There was no way I
was gonna let him go. Had a tight grip on the noose. Up on the Sutter Mill
area and the Yuba rivers where I played around dredging for gold I'd often
come across Sierra Pacific rattlers. They are small and hard to see.
Typically about 2 feet long with about 4 rattles. Found several of these in our
camp over the years...lucky no one got bit.
George Zay