[meteorite-list] Auction Kings ( PROVENANCE COA's )

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 08:41:58 -0700 (PDT)

I think collectors might be confusing COAs with ID cards.? We are lucky that ID cards suffice in the meteorite market most of the time.? As far as I know, nobody has passed off counterfeit ID cards from my collection yet.? This would be like poking a stick into a beehive as far as I am concerned.? The only COAs I have provided that were printed by myself were for crumbs or cutting dust encased in laminated collectors cards. The pieces were so small that I felt collectors would appreciate a little more assurance. They are also serialized with the certification statement on the back.

The only other COAs I have provided came with some NWA 5000 specimens.? These COAs came from an immensely-qualified independent grader.? I had no input whatsoever on how individual specimens would be graded since many factors were independently taken into account.?? I have never graded any specimens myself.? I have however provided comments when I feel a special feature needs to be pointed out. The grades that came on my ID cards were provided by researchers approved by the Meteoritical Society's Nomenclature Committee and can be referenced in the Bulletin.? Despite popular belief, there are a few errors in the Bulletin so no system is perfect.?

I hope this clears things up,

Kind Regards,

Adam