[meteorite-list] Auction Kings meteorite - $2000 Sikhote Alin

From: Yinan Wang <veomega_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 21:07:22 -0400

Speaking from experience with many auction houses: most houses stay around the 20% range but the bigger ones charge photo fees of $100-$400 and a buy back fee. So are they a better value than eBay? With the major auction houses, I find that about 40-60% of items I consign will sell. Most will sell at my reserve, but 1 in 4 will go for a crazy high price because of bidding wars.

So I tend to use eBay for most of my low priced or specimens that are too specialized, while I consign more expensive or pretty items to auction houses. Pretty with a good story sells.

- yinan

Sent from my iPhone