[meteorite-list] Katol India meteorite - Forbidden Fruit

From: Me Teor <m3t30r1t3man_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 21:09:42 +0530

Dear Shawn
You are absolutely correct. It is illegal to collect meteorites in India. And meteorites are government property. The authority for this is the Geological Survey of India. And as far as I know, they never trade or deal with any individuals or private institutions. There cannot be any export papers as export is banned.

Although I wonder how having a export paper or certificate helps ?

If a specimen is up for sale, it is definitely out of the country and has been exported.

By the way does anyone have a analysis report on this new find ?

M.E.