[meteorite-list] For those of you that use PAYPAL I got this email today.

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 13:32:51 -0500 (EST)

In Mexico, this is the same system and it is even more complicated in
that not only is this an annual reporting requirement like the new US
rule, there is no minimum on it (unlike the $600 US minimum) - but that
is the least of the problems - each individual payment must be properly
documented with tax information and provided to the taxing authority,
for every single transaction.

It is a mindless burden and easily and widely evaded using cash and
skipping all the paperwork in selected tranactions of the total. Two
years ago, to combat this, the government put in a new law across the
board for individuals: Anyone depositing over $1,600 in a month in any
indiviuaol bank acount will pay 10% tax on the deposit, NO EXEMPTION
for anybody. MAGINE THIS. Perhaps you'd rather live in Mexico. Try
writing your congressman there and see haow far you get, with all due
respect to the honorable public servants cited.

"This means if you?. Lets say invested $100,000 in NWA?s meteorites and
turned around
and sold them for $50,000 in the past you?re deemed as a small
business. "

Certainly sounds like a very poorly managed small business to me. I
think I missed that partiular point.

"From what I have read, in 2008 during the Bush administration a
measure was sneaked
in to health reform bill"

 From what 've read, the USA can't pay for Obama's health care reform or
any other health care anyway, and one reason is widespread tax dodging
in the USA. Also that it was one of several proposals investigated
during the Bush tenure, but it passed on the politically so-called
Obamacare medical reform to help pay the bill . So apparently Obama
liked it enough?

" It seems the 1099 misc. is exempt for those big companies."

Big companies are regularly audited and already pay for expensive
systems which all properly report accounts payable, and usually the
process to become a supplier has a lot more red tape and forms than the
new law is asking. So why would you make them have two auditable
systems if they are not the problem? So (as Paul said) consumers can
ultimatey pay even more for goods?

Under Bush, I understand, several proposals were laid out. Why this
was selected, who knows. I vigorosly oppose it due to impositions on
privacy in that personal information must now be given to small
businesses which may not have priovacy policies in place and opens the
poitential to abuse ones personal financial information. Bush also
proposed another solution, which was just to denominate a 'business
bank account' through which all funds of the small business must pass
and calculate the change in balance on a gross basis. That's a much
better idea, IMO. I don't have a clue why no one was there to raise a
voice tp use that proposal instead of the one selected.

Kindest wishes
Doug