[meteorite-list] Tata-Foumzgit-Tanzrou Martian Fall. (Why no lunar falls? and freshest lunar?)

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 17:43:32 -0500

Hi Jeff and List,

I didn't mean to demean the value of an actual sample return mission.
I think most of us would love to see a sample return mission for Mars
or any other planetary body. Perhaps a Martian sample return mission
would be one of the precursors to an eventual colony on Mars. A
self-sufficient colony on another world is a dream I would love to see
come true in my lifetime, but unless I live well past 100, I doubt
I'll see it.

Back to the new Mars meteorite, I wish a scientist would explain why a
fresh sample like this is valuable for research. In other words, how
much detrimental effect does oxidation and weathering have on
specimens used for research purposes? Does it waste valuable
instrument time trying to sort out the effects of weathering from
native properties present in the sample?

Best regards,

MikeG

--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com