[meteorite-list] Tata-Foumzgit Martian Fall. The most significant fall of this century?

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 14:16:44 +0100

Yep,

also the modelling by Gladman, that 5% of the ejecta from Mars will fall on
Earth, but that 50% of the rocks released from Earth/Moon will be collected
by the Earth-Moon-system again,
tells something about probabilities, but not about the absolute frequency,
how often an impact on Moon and Mars releases rocks into space.

Also the notion, that a rock blasted off from Moon will jump more or less
directly on Earth is somewhat incorrect. We have exposure ages for the
lunars, partially, where we weren't sitting in the trees yet - up to more
than a dozen millions of years, where that stuff was orbiting around the
sun.

But, folks.

Chassigny, that was Waterloo, Congress of Vienna and Beethoven still
composing symphonies - Shergotty, there you had just finished the Civil War
and Lewis published Alice in Wonderland - Nakhla, the Mexican Revolution,
Agadir-crisis, and the Titanic is launched - Zagami = the Cuban Missiles
Crises, Algerian independence war,
Aaaaand the Ford Edsel was skipped!

And you, you know now for 3 weeks from the new Martian fall; after such an
eternity
- though now you're yearning for a lunar fall?

Huh. Enjoy rather the momentousness of that event, grab rather the best
individuals you can, before you have to wait again until 2062, when you'll
have the next opportunity to do so!

:-)
Martin