[meteorite-list] HELP PLEASE - PECULIAR METEORITE DISCOVERY....

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 03:15:36 -0500 (EST)

"A seemingly honest fellow from Sandy Hook, NJ came to my office late
today in
the hope I could verify what he was told could be a meteorite---and it
is."

"are honest....but I just don't get it."

Hi Darryl,

Either you run with it or you give it back. But posting the pictures
of the etch pattern should be pretty good evidence of some of the
larger transported falls.

Lots of explanations could account for the meteorite (the prior owner
died and the rock stayed on the porch --- it's happened before
...etc.), but if we listen to Jefferson, while it would be easier to
believe they are lying, the facts are what must be established. What
do you have to lose? If you don't want to risk time and money, just
see if they'll fax a release giving you permission to have it analyzed
and just for your own protection slip in that they represent in good
faith that the meteorite is their property and presented to you as an
unknown for verification (which you mention is what gives them the
right to have it analyzed since meteorites can be valuble)...

Good luck, if it's a scam, bring it on. Let's see those pix...After
all, no obvious match on the etch is great news no matter how you
*slice* it. If the etch matches a large widely distributed fall, but
they insisted and you wanted out,you could always offer to take a nice
slice to pay your expenses in case it turns out to be common. Does
that make sense?

Kindest wishes
Doug

>> A seemingly honest fellow from Sandy Hook, NJ came to my office late
today in
the hope I could verify what he was told could be a meteorite---and it
is.

>> This fellow said that just after he moved in a year ago, he found it
on the
embankment of his backyard just beyond which is a 75 foot escarpment.
The wife
said she tried to throw the rusty thing out a couple of times and both
times he
rescued it from the garbage. It is a medium octahedrite which weighs
4.236 kg.
How do I know it's a medium octahedrite? I could make out a feint
pattern
underneath a veneer of rust on the cut face. Yes, roughly speaking,
this fellow
found a cut and prepared meteorite in his backyard.

>> The fellow left the specimen in my possession and agreed to allow me
to have
a sample removed and forwarded for analysis. I advised him there could
be a
problem here that could be readily determined---and he didn't seem
fazed. While
I've been accused of being naive, I nonetheless genuinely believe he
and his
wife are honest....but I just don't get it.