[meteorite-list] I want to display a Canyon Diablo piece in the local Library

From: Michael Murray <mikebevmurray_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 11:06:49 -0700

Hello List,
Now that Montrose, Colorado is no longer the "Meteorite Capitol of the
World" or whatever, I have something I would like to do. I have a 733
gram whole individual Canyon Diablo iron that I want to display in the
same display case at the Montrose Regional Library where some other
supposed moon rocks were displayed a while back. I would like to
display this piece of iron in hopes that it might, on its own, spark
some interest in meteorites, and maybe the write-up that I put with it
will help as well. My piece is not that spectacular but since it is
all I have, hopefully it will work. I got this piece from a fellow up
in Oregon that traded the finder for it back in the 1970s. The finder
responded to my inquiry on the piece basically acknowledging the piece
but I think I still need a certificate of authenticity in order to
properly display it as a meteorite. My questions to the M-List are:
how can I get a certificate on it; and would anyone want to suggest
information on the Canyon Diablo irons that I should put with it in
the display . I am willing to send the piece I have off to a lab if
necessary to get it certified but to who? I would like to get it into
the display case yet this winter if that's possible. I would
appreciate any and all help I get on this.

Here is a picture of the iron that I have: http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p124/mmurray_02/IMG_1697.jpg

Mike