[meteorite-list] Fire caused by meteorites.. Is it possible?

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 15:53:02 -0600

Sorry, but that's just crazy. A meteoritic body that strikes the ground
at terminal velocity, as virtually all meteorites do, cannot be hot
enough to start a fire. It doesn't matter what it's made of. And in
fact, there is virtually no evidence supporting the idea that cometary
bodies produce meteorites. And finally, comets are not hot. The
temperature of a body in space depends on the ratio of absorbed to
emitted energy. Close to Earth, bodies are mostly on the cool side-
freezing or less- with the warm ones still nowhere near hot enough to
start fires. Of course, after falling through the atmosphere for a few
minutes, we expect most meteorites to be quite cold on impact- something
that has been observed.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory