[meteorite-list] Fire caused by meteorites.. Is it possible?

From: Gary Daniels <Gary_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 17:43:37 -0400

If the meteorite is a comet fragment, then there's no reason it can't be hot
enough upon impact to start a fire under the right conditions. Recent
evidence has shown that some comets are hot and dry not icy and some also
have gas jets on their night sides which astronomers have theorized is only
possible if they are somehow transferring (and storing) heat in their
interiors. If a comet in space can store heat then a fragment of one should
have no problem storing the heat created when entering the atmosphere. If
such a meteorite landed in the right conditions (dry grass, for instance)
then a fire could be started easily.

I've seen grass fires start from very hot lawn mowers (no sparks, just heat)
when the grass was extremely dry and there was a slight breeze to fan the
flames. I've also seen grass fires start from overheated car engines on the
side of the road (in high, dry grass.) So I see no reason why a comet
fragment/meteorite couldn't cause a fire under similar circumstances.

Whether there are any actual recorded instances of such is an entirely
different matter. :)

-Gary Daniels
http://www.LostWorlds.org
http://www.MayaInAmerica.com