[meteorite-list] Auction Questions

From: Count Deiro <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 23:57:42 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

What a hoot!

Yinan Wang's coherent explanation of auction house operations should satisfy the complaints of any potential seller, or buyer. I can add to his descriptions by mentioning consignor's can set a minimum to protect themselves in most situations. That being the case,the auction company has a risk that not enough items will sell in order to cover costs and profits, so they may charge additional fees to cover that exposure.

What is a hoot.. is reading the whinings of our professional dealers claiming auction house greediness when they themselves practice the same techniques. I don't hear them shedding an ounce of compassion for the newbie's they sell .25 cent a gram OCs to for $5.00 a gram.

Auction houses are like used car salesman..they prefer to do business with the uninformed and emotionally driven buyer. I know because I earned my living in both fields of endeavor.

Count Deiro
INCA 3536