[meteorite-list] Sutter's Mill/Lotus/? bolide physics at the time of breakup

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 10:19:23 -0600

Any energy injected into particles by some sort of explosive
fragmentation is depleted in a second or so. All the meteorites briefly
follow substantially parabolic paths, and then spend most of their time
falling perfectly vertically with respect to the prevailing wind. That
is, they carry none of their initial forward momentum during the several
minutes they are falling.

The dynamics of the fireball and meteoroid breakup basically just
determine where along the flight path bodies will start dropping, but
has little effect on anything else.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory