[meteorite-list] 1 in 3200 odds of human impact (help)

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 16:32:28 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Stuart, List, Sterling, Kirk and all,

The official statement based on a 9-year old estimate which was
magically updated:

"Estimated human casualty risk (updated to 2011): ~ 1 in 3200"

which I interpret to mean death or injury, though it could be
interpreted as death alone.

NASA/DoD used FPBBNOQ, their version of the risk assessment program to
"determine" this,
(a.k.a. falsely precise black box that no one questions otherwise known
as ORSAT)

NASA's ORSAT calculations were that the impact:

* Cross sectional area 3.49 m^2 of UARS debris
(that's 37.5 square feet)
* 26 pieces surviving
* 532.38 kg mass total impacting weight

 ORSAT, their proverbial magic black box:
"Estimated human casualty risk (updated to 2011): ~ 1 in 3200"

The excuses and justifications and sweet talk (something like we hear
in politics or by the slouchers that promise results at work IMO):

No NASA or USG human casualty reentry risk limits existed when UARS was
designed, built, and launched.
? NASA, the USG, and some foreign space agencies now seek to limit
human casualty risks from reentering space objects to less than 1 in
10,000.
? UARS is a moderate-sized space object. Uncontrolled reentries of
objects more massive than UARS are not frequent, but neither are they
unusual.
     ? Combined Dragon mockup and Falcon 9 second stage reentry in June
2010 was more massive.
? Since the beginning of the space age, there has been no confirmed
report of an injury resulting from reentering space objects.

Read all about it here:
ref:
http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/585584main_UARS_Status.pdf

Kindest wishes