[meteorite-list] question

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 20:45:17 -0400

Hi Gang!

Whoever it is, I wish I could produce consistent, small, thin slices
like that. :)

That is impossible to do by hand (at least for me), but it would be
easier to do with the right equipment. With a proper jig to hold the
specimen, one could use a tiny 4" high-rpm trim saw and a really thin
blade. Or, have something that holds the stone like a deli-slicer,
and then just shave off "sheets" of paper thin meteorite. One must be
very careful when handling such thin specimens during the process, and
polishing them would be hit and miss because of breakage.

Best regards,

MikeG

--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com