[meteorite-list] Geophysics, meteorites, and Electron microscopy-QUESTION

From: Carl Agee <agee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 07:36:36 -0600

Hi Shawn,

It's actually the electron microprobe that gives the quantitative
analyses needed for classification of stony meteorites. The data is
usually output in tables of oxide component concentrations in weight
percent, totalling hopefully, to approximately 100%. The microprobe
software lets you select which elements (expressed as oxides) to
analyze and assign the element to one of the probe's spectrometers.
The software will also give atomic concentrations to check for mineral
stoichiometry. For metals and sulfides the output is usually in
element percent. Calibration of the probe against known standards
(minerals or compounds similar to what are in your meteorite) precedes
the microprobe session and can take several hours. Once the probe is
calibrated, you are good to go on your first unknown meteorite that
would normally be in a polished thin section or polished epoxy-cast
probe mount. Because the calibration is time consuming it is
economical to do several samples in a single session. Sessions can go
on for hours, and you can even set up a collection of x-y coordinates
and let the auto-feature of the probe analyze different spots all
night long. In the morning a stack of data would be be waiting for
your perusal and evaluation.

Of course there are other tests and analyses that contribute to a high
quality meteorite classification, which include visual textural
information from both polarizing microscope and SEM observation (e.g.
shock effects, percent mineral make-up, weathering), and of course
macroscopic characteristics seen in the hand sample. Oxygen isotopes
are also great to have, especially as a "court of appeals" for
borderline cases or for anomalous meteorites that don't fall into
clear-cut geochemical groups. There are many other techniques such as
isotopic age dating, cosmic ray exposure, bulk trace element analyses,
and so on that enhance the characterization of a stony meteorite, but
the electron microprobe is the work horse for most classification
data.

Someone who has done work on Ensisheim (LL6) and Saint-S?verin (LL6)
could give a better answer that I can about the their subtle
differences and whether the microprobe can distinguish between them,
but my guess would be yes, especially when combined with SEM imaging.

The length of time for classification from start to finish, including
the write-up is variable. The initial ID or categorization of an
unknown doesn't have to take long, that's what emerges in the first
hour or so of microprobe analysis. But often, for a water-tight,
authoritative classification, a second probe session may be required.
Plus a lot of the time is spent puuzzling through the data and
narrowing down the possibilities. It's like detective work, and
personally I find it immensely engaging.

Hope this helps,

Carl Agee

--
Carl B. Agee
Director and Curator, Institute of Meteoritics
Email: agee at unm.edu
http://epswww.unm.edu/iom/pers/agee.html