[meteorite-list] Silly-sounding Meteorite Names

From: dorifry <dorifry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 12:28:42 -0400

Martin and Bill:

My 6 year old respectfully disagrees! She laughs at the Australian names
like Milly Milly, Laundry Rockhole, and Kittakittaooloo. She also likes
Fuzzy Creek, Elephant Moraine, Two Buttes, Belly River, Lumpkin,
Cartoonkana, Bununu, and Muleshoe.

Phil Whitmer
Joshua Tree Earth & Space Museum

--------------------

Hello Bill and list member,

"I don't see how any are actually silly." (Bill)

I agree with you, Bill!

I do love the "amount of flair" in international meteorite names.

It reflects the global variety of the 'meteorite world' we
list members do actually live in.

Maybe we should rather talk about the most inspiring
or inspired names.

Or invent, for fun, new additional and inofficial names
(depending on structure of matrix, crust or shape of the meteorite etc.) for
the
somehow 'austere' NWA numbers.

Just an idea.

Best wishes to all of you