[meteorite-list] Any experts on meteorite Kiris blades

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 19:48:23 -0400

Hi Doug and List,

Given the varied nature of meteoritic iron, it would seem unsuitable
for the production of any product that requires a consistent and/or
specific metallurgical process. One iron meteorite might be suitable,
but another will not. Introduce silicate inclusions, graphite
nodules, and other "contaminants" and you have a recipe for
poorly-made Damascus steel. The only way I can see around this would
be if an area had a large quantity of meteoritic iron of the same
type, such as a big fall like Campo del Cielo, or a giant source like
the Hoba iron. Even then, there is obviously some variation in
chemistry from one specimen to the next and from one portion of a
single specimen to the next.

Best regards,

MikeG

--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com