[meteorite-list] Comet May Have Missed Earth By A Few HundredKilometres in 1883?

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 00:59:56 -0400 (EDT)

We listees know the Mexican astronomer in this article, for another
reason - he is the one who managed to write up the account of the
Mazapil iron meteorite, which he also attributed to have come from
fragmenting Comet Biela in that same time frame. I'm from Missouri on
this one, as much as I would like to believe that Mexican skies are the
nicest in the world (which of course is not true anymore, but some are
still quite good).

I would put more creedence in this if I already wasn't pissed off at
the incredible description of dancing meteors he described durning the
fall of Mazapil, but, for all the detail, of sizzling iron, there was
absolutely no mention of which direction the fireball was observed.
Even at that time, a key piece of information that would have quenched
later debates about meteorites being larger cometary masses which was
widely believed or tolerated at that time.

Kindest wishes
Doug