[meteorite-list] Pena Blanca Spring -Hammerstone?

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 18:58:12 -0500 (EST)

"Would a meteorite that landed on a paved road be considered a hammer
stone"

By Michael's definition of this concept of "hammer", why would you
require the road to be paved? Nothing magic about asphalt. Macadam,
gravel, graded dirt; etc. they all work. And for that matter, anything
that lands on improved land, so every corn and buckwheat patch is a
hammer (or if it goes under, a plow).

Now, here's another silly question about a concept when over-used:

Does a meteorite have to be a witnessed fall to be a hammer? By
witnessed, I don't mean the morning-after kind. Suppose this guy finds
a meteor(oid?) snagged in the top of this half kilometer tower he free
climbs?:

electrifying scientific video:
http://io9.com/5639113/

Is it a meteoroid/ite hammer?

Now back to maximum silliness; Michael calls the Pena Blanca spgs a
hammer, well then, so is Lake Okeechobee's hammerstones , which were
dragged up relatively fresh considering from a lake, though never seen
falling in. The "lake is 100% dammed up by the Great Wall of Florida
(9 meters high and over 225 kilometers in length plus a network of
draining canals and natural waterways that have been rerouted) would
just be an amorphorous natural swamp. So man's controlling finger is
evident and it's not even a witnessed fall! - a first of its kind for a
hammer, sort of.

Now, if what hits water isn't a hammer, I get first dibs on naming it
(beat ya Michael!!!). They are TORPEDOS. Before you scoff at the
concept, just remember over 70% of the meteorites landing errrr.....
splashing down ... on earth are TORPEDOS!

Kindest wishes
Doug