[meteorite-list] Meteorite Escrow Service

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 17:36:01 -0500 (EST)

Hi Abe,

Let me complement Count Guido's post with this:

If your purchase is under $1000, and the option exists to pay with your
credit card (if you have one) or paypal (find a way to get a paypal
account if you don't have one), do that. It replaces the need for an
escrow service or membership in any organization, since you can always
get your money back in case of scam and paying for registered mail is
cheaper than paying an escrow fee.

But, from the sound of your message you are perhaps being contacted by
persons around the world who have limited english skills. If that is
the case you are going from what som e people refer to as the retail
side of this to the wholesale side. You will get a better price if you
know what you are doing that way, but you need to learn more about
meteorites first to be a judge. Because the extra money you pay to
some reasonable dealers honestly, more than covers the risk for you at
this point. I am not saying to ignore these guys as an interesting
piece of material m,ay show up and once you have enough experience
buying little specimens off eBay and dealers of good repute you m,ay be
in a position to get some of the cream. But with meteorites, that
cream is a very hard fight and if you are a casual collector there are
better ways to make some money unless you get that curious obsession
that afflict many of us, for which there is no earthly pill to cure.

Kindest wishes
Doug