[meteorite-list] Meteorite Escrow Service

From: Guenther <abe.guenther_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 13:06:16 -0500

I don't post a lot but as soon as I do, I get solicitations from people
trying to sell me meteorites. So I am assuming it's because of loiterers in
the forum. From the names I can tell that they are not from the list. I can
only assume that they are either normal people who have a meteorite they
would like to sell for some quick cash or it's a scam. If it was the former
rather than the latter I would imagine that there could be some pretty good
deals out there but I would never want to risk it. If someone actually had a
meteorite to sell but had no eBay rating, I understand their motivation to
loiter in a forum even though I don't like it. I am sure that there are many
honest people who have meteorites they would like to sell but the risk is
too high to get scammed.

Is there a trustworthy escrow service in the industry? If someone genuinely
had a nice stone to sell, whether they contacted me through my forum posts
or otherwise, I could direct them to an escrow. An escrow service would help
unknown sellers get their meteorites into the hands of collectors without
having to build a name for themselves first or have to go to a meteorite
convention to sell them. There are many knowledgeable meteorite hunters and
collectors in the forum who could quite easily operate an escrow service
that people like me would trust.

Thanks,

Abe Guenther