[meteorite-list] Vesta-Howardite confirmation and other new parent body research findings

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 16:47:56 -0500 (EST)

"not entirely unexpected....although exciting nonetheless. :)"

Hi Mike,

True "Eureka, Eureka, Eureka!" moments are far and few between in
science and this is the beginning of the news all of us Vestalians have
long awaited. Sometimes it is more satisfying to have in dependent
verification of a landmark theory than to jump around between theories
and never get one just right. Drum roll.... and now for the warning
shot from DAWN with the hope that there is a lot more in the pipeline:

Meteorite interpretations of the new results from our friendly rich
man's space probe Dawn, with our personal poor man's space probe HED's:

"In the range of 200 to 1000 nm, our rotationally averaged spectrum of
Vesta can be well explained by a single-component, fine-grain
howardite, or a linear mixing model with a small fraction (<20%) of
fine-grain diogenite added. This is consistent with previous
conclusions about the global surface composition of Vesta (Gaffey,
1997)."

Now I don't know about everyone's expectations, but given the body of
research so far on Vesta and our impact-transport theories or it, this
is about as exciting as it gets for me without spotting spotting a
harem, missed by the mission scientists, filled with scantily clad
Vestal virgins with goosebumps waving back to Dawn and saying "Cheese!"
as we image them ;-)

With these, for now, Lutetia get relegated as coming attractions on the
back burner; Here's the link for the complete Howardite connection
article since you ask:

http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1110/1110.4113.pdf

ref:
Ultraviolet spectroscopy of Asteroid (4) Vesta, Jian-Yang Li, Dennis
Bodewits, Lori M. Feaga, Wayne Landsman, Michael F. A?Hearn,
Max J. Mutchler, Christopher T. Russell, Lucy A. McFadden, Carol A.
Raymond, Icarus, Dec. 2011, Pages 640-649.

Kindest wishes
Doug