[meteorite-list] Cleaning a heavy iron meteorite

From: Guenther <abe.guenther_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 18:35:12 -0500

Thanks very much to the comments and replies. I am new to meteorite
collecting and therefore have minimal knowledge about classifying them.
Given the heavy weight for its size I thought it was a heavy iron.

To clarify, I made absolutely sure to use the softest wire brush from my
dremel tool set to remove the built up dirt and rust. It's very close to the
color I found it except a little more gold in color, cleaner and more shiny.

I have finally purchased a lapidary saw with a .032 diamond blade and I have
been practicing cutting various other rocks before making the commitment to
cut it. Once I have it sliced, I will post new pictures. I have been
extremely anxious to see inside.

Abe Guenther