[meteorite-list] Mohs hardness and meteorites

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 09:29:19 -0400

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the helpful replies. :)

While meteorites are a heterogeneous mixture of minerals that have
varying individual hardnesses, taken as a sum of the parts, it seems
that some meteorites are definitely harder than others. This also
seems to apply to some meteorites within the same petrologic type.

Thinking back on some of the different types I have cut, here is a
rough scale of hardness for meteorites I have encountered -

10 - Whitecourt iron (ruined my blade)

9 - NWA 788 (this was like cutting the hardest stone possible - like
Dwarven adamantine. I was very surprised at how tough this stone was.
 It was very time-consuming to polish also.)

8 - NWA 6386 - this diogenite is very compact and glassy. It's like
cutting a tektite, but tougher. (this includes NWA 6288 and another
possible pairing)

7 - Toufassour - or any similar mesosiderite. Difficulty is related
to overall metal content of the individual specimen. (some are tougher
than others)

6 - an old NWA CV3. I forget the number, but it was very tough and
slow to cut.

5 - most NWA ordinary chondrites - tough, but a fresh blade makes
quick work of them.

4 - most LL type chondrites (and highly weathered chondrites like Al-Haggounia)

3 - Allende, NWA 6026 (CK5), and most howardites/eucrites.

2 - anything this soft I usually dry-cut.

Best regards,

MikeG

Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com