[meteorite-list] Mohs hardness and meteorites

From: Jimski47 at aol.com <Jimski47_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 07:06:28 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 5/9/2011 4:24:28 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
meteoritemike at gmail.com writes:
Hi List,

Has anyone ever put together a hardness list for meteorites in
relation to the Mohs scale?

I know that irons, stony-irons, friable types (some achondrites, LL's)
will vary greatly in hardness. But what I am curious about is stony
type meteorites, specifically the chondrite family. For example,
let's take the "typical" H5 chondrite - one of the most common of all
meteorite types. Where does the H5 fall on the Mohs hardness scale?

Up until the time I started cutting and polishing meteorites, I
assumed that an L5 would be "softer" than an H5. But, I have run
across some L-chondrites that are very very hard and require the same
amount of sanding/polishing work as some H-chondrites. I am assuming
this is because of the individual mineral compositions of the
meteorites in questions, and not so much the petrologic type. So am I
right to assume that stony meteorite hardness is not dictated solely
by iron content?

Best regards,

Mike Gilmer
--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com