[meteorite-list] Info on Polishing Cut Stones?

From: Dennis Miller <astroroks_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 10:17:36 -0500

Good Morning All.... "Poor man Method" If you don't want to spend a bundle
on lapidary equipment and you have a durable wrist, I would suggest a good
Silicon-carbide sand paper, a 12X12 marble tile, and a shallow plastic pan.
I buy Norton Black Ice paper from our local Grainger store, use a single tile
from Lowe's, and a small pan I swiped from our kitchen. Place the paper,
tile and a little water in the pan, place your meteorite slice on the paper and
rub like hell... switching hands as one wares out. I start with a 400 grit, then
600, 800 and finish with a 1200. The 4 boxes of 50 sheets of wet paper will
be your biggest expense. But it will last you a lifetime or until you need a
wrist replacement. As a matter of fact I just cut up some NWA 869 that I'll
start polishing as I watch TV tonight, because the process is Quiet and you
can do it in front of the TV in the den.....
Good Luck and Kiss a Leprechaun Today!
Dennis O'Miller

P.S. I use a good marble tile because of it's
     high polish and flat surface...