[meteorite-list] Info on Polishing Cut Stones?

From: Galactic Stone and Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 09:49:08 -0400

Hi Keith,

That clear-coat or "wet" look comes from a high polish, which is
usually about 800 grit or higher. I can get that wet look by going
all the way to 1500 grit and then finishing the piece with jeweler's
rouge. Although, the rouge is not really necessary in most cases to
get that final slick look.

The quick and easy way to get that kind of polish is to use a powered
lap polisher. It takes minutes to get that high polish look. Lap
polishers can be expensive and can cost you a fingertip if you are not
careful.

The poor-man's way is sandpaper, in progressive grits - 100, 200, 400,
600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500. This is much much slower and requires
healthy arms and lots of work. Initial expense is much cheaper than a
powered lap-polisher, but you will eventually spend a small fortune on
sandpaper over time.

Best regards,

MikeG

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com