[meteorite-list] OT: RISKS OF NUCLEAR POWER

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 13:54:35 +0100

Good morning Sterling,

As macabre it may sound in the light of the horrible events in Japan,
I seriously doubt, that it makes sense to compare immediate deaths in
accidents of the direct energy production, Sterling.

>From Hiroshima, Nagasaki, the testing of nuclear weapons and the Chernobyl
disaster it is known, that many types of radiation syndromes have latencies
of several decades, not to mention the damages of the genetic constitution
with natal deaths in the next generation.

These effects are difficult to record, the data records are poor and always
object to political manipulation.

The same applies of course to the energy production with fossil resources,
the mortal diseases caused by the pollution by combustion products and the
mining of the resources (the latter btw. also for the nuclear materials, -
and who ever had miners in his family knows, that still in our grandfather
generation the miners had a shorter life-span because usually they died
earlier of silicosis).

Therefore, Sterling, I think your comparative stats are useless.

For Chernobyl btw. exist other numbers too.

IAEA says 56 death - immediate ones at the very catastrophe due lethal doses
and included 9 children by thyroid cancer. (caused by the short-lived iodine
131 - the thyroidal cancer rate among children from that area was tenfold
increased from 1986-1990).

The Ukrainian Commission on Radiological Protection counts 34,499 deaths
among the rescue workers.

While WHO has an estimate of 50,000 deaths until the year 2000 among the
rescue helper and those employed as "liquidators" for the cleanup efforts.

And Sterling, one thing I personally can't understand is, that some always
speak of nuclear power as a cheap and clean way of energy production.
This might be the case for the direct production, if you let such incidents
aside,
but it works only if you separate the question of the dispose of the
accumulating waste.
(If you would include those, anyway nuclear power wouldn't be competitive on
the market. But also else it is subsidized, the research, the erecting of
the plants, or e.g. the exemption from liability insurances, which would be
remarkable high, seen the possible damage of a worst case, and so on).

That waste you have to isolate from the environment for time-spans up to 1
million years,
until the emission of radiation has fallen to a level which is regarded
today as harmless.

Raise and fall of empires... such a normal society lasts a couple of hundred
years, our religions were founded a few single thousands of years ago, the
oldest man made buildings...nja well, 5-10 ice ages, would have to look for,
we had the last 1 million years...

And the costs... John Dow says, dig it in, put a tin hut on top, hire two
watchmen, a door man and a caretaker, be scrooge, pay them including social
insurances/pension 30,000$ per year each
Et viola makes in 1 million years 120 billion USD
- ouch! Sounds not that cheap.

Anyway all in all to me it seems, that that method of energy production
doesn't keep that, what the enthusiasm of the 1970ies and 1980ies had
promised.
(Running gag, have you ever heard of nuclear fusion? In the 1950ies it was
promised to be ready in the 1980ies...)

My 1st and last 2 cents to that very off-topic topic.
Cause it doesn't belong on the meteorite-list.
Martin

PS: We here in Germany have no idea where to put the waste.
For 30 years now we couldn't find any geological formation stable enough
regarding erosion and geological processes to dig that stuff in. Soon we'll
have 20,000 tons of that, a part of it highly radioactive - currently it's
kept in containers, designed for 40 years safety.
All that is paid by the tax-payer.