[meteorite-list] 8.9 Quake in Japan, 10 meter Tsunami, Hope Dirk and others are ok

From: Count Deiro <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 22:43:15 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Hello John and List,

I know it is difficult when the media, almost to a man, has opted to sensationalize, rather than calmly release the facts. I haven't seen one headline that hasn't promoted a panic in it's wording. Then, as I read the body copy it becomes apparent through the use of qualifiers like, maybe, possible and might, that what was touted hasn't actually occurred. The headline doesn't turn out to be just misleading..it's actually a lie.

I was shocked at Sheppard Smith's opener yesterday on Fox. He all but said we were going to die. And they sent this hysteric to Japan to report on something he doesn't know anything about. Also, I didn't know that our popular Japanese/American cosmologist with the salt and pepper hair...I forgot his name...but he's on many a metoritic program, is a blatantly anti-nuke. He gets on the air and calls for all nuke plants to be shut down. I fell out of my chair. How could a guy with letters after his name and so immersed in the study and teaching of the cosmos...which owes it's existence to fission and fusion hold such a position?

The facts are, as of a minute ago, that there has been no containment vessel breach in any of the reactors. Therefore, there has been no significant release of radiation. Nobody...nobody.. has received an exposure that would cause any measurable harm. I don't care what you've read, seen, or heard.

What has happened, is that some fuel rod assemblies have been damaged by loss of coolant and resulting overtemp. They can melt into each other, but they can't burn through the vessel, or start a fire, as there is no graphite in the GE design. The Japanese are faced with a cooling and containment issue that is exacerbated by the loss of power, pumps, valves, piping and coolant. But, industrious and versatile as they are...they will handle it. And they'll do it wearing the correct color uniform and helmet.

So, my read in the face of all "the sky is falling" is that this is as bad as it going to get and the worse is over. Plant personnel have reduced temps everywhere and what little ionizing radiation released was harmless before it got over the fence.

Watch..soon the media is going to realize that tens of thousands of Japanese are dead by being drowned and squished...and the goddamn power plant didn't kill any of them.

Intelligent, thinking human beings with real pride and admiration for the accomplishments of others would be championing the success of their brothers and sisters in being able to design and construct a set of reactors that could survive at the epicenter of one of the strongest earthquakes in the history of the world and take a direct hit from a 20 meter high tsunami.

Too much to ask for?...Pass the iodine and get the meter out of the cabinet.

Count Deiro
IMCA 3536