[meteorite-list] Gebel Kamil

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 21:23:00 -0800

Carl,
You don't seem to understand what I'm saying.

1) The Egyptian government has made no claims regarding meteorite
ownership. The questionable claims were made by a few Egyptian
professors. No one with official governmental standing has said
anything.

2) Egypt has no laws in place (currently) that address the ownership
of meteorites. Well, none published. They tend to be good with such
things, and I can only assume that owning an Egyptian meteorite is
legal since it has historically never been an issue, and the
government has yet to make any sort of statement about it.

-- You seem to be suggesting that Egypt may have such laws. I'm not
sure where you got the idea, but even after I discounted it, you're
still pushing it, so I'm not sure what to say.

3) I'd like to point out that the US does have such laws pertaining to
meteorites. They suggest that any and all meteorites found on public
land belong to the US government.

Carl - you asked, "if the Gov . of Egypt owns it you cannot export it.
Isn't it that simple?"

4) In light of that fact that the US owns all meteorites found on
public land, by the logic of your statement, it should be illegal to
export (or own) any meteorite found on public land in the US. After
all, if all meteorites found on public land belong to the US
government, then, surely, one cannot legally export them.

So, to answer your original question, no. Based on all available
information, it is not illegal to export meteorites from Egypt,
because the country has no laws that restrict the ownership or export
of meteorites. Just some noisy professors who complain when it
happens.

These sorts of issues are typically not "that simple." If you want to
view things simplistically, I suggest you start asking people to turn
over all meteorites found on US public land to the public institution
nearest them.

Jason