[meteorite-list] Point of Diminishing returns (Slice thickness)?

From: al mitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 07:21:08 -0500

Greetings,

Interesting discussion on meteorite thickness, weight, value and slices etc.
and so on. My problem with cutting slices too thin are many. While you get a
great looking slice with good surface area there are trade offs. Number one
is there is more breakage when trying to cut ultra thin slices. Breakage
should cause the price of the material to rise, if you have a truly limited
amount of that material in the first place.

Two. Thin slices that are made without breakage are also prone to breaking
later on. It could break during shipping to the buyer. Breaking a full slice
can reduce the value of that slice, especially if there are only a couple of
full slices in the world of that material. Even if you don't break it if you
sell it later there is a chance it could break in shipping. You can always
sell the two half slices and the multiple crumbs then.

Three. Another consideration is if the surface of the slice needs
refinishing at some point (even if it is not in your lifetime) the odds
again are higher that it will break while being worked on. A thicker slice
can be resurfaced multiple times assuring it survives being studied, viewed
and appreciated in the future.

Four. Cutting specimens ultra thin causes waste of material. First you get
more slices but at the lost of more material. One commenter mentioned 60%
which sound right to me when cutting ultra thin. Again if the material is
truly very limited, scientifically valuable material could be lost. I can
appreciate cutting material where there is lots of that material and to cut
ultra thin as there will be multiple kilos of it for sometime.

For those who collect thin slices I am not picking on you but just posting
my thoughts of these ultra thin cut slices and the pros and cons. Please
don't take it personal. I do have some ultra thin slices in my collection.

I coined the phrase that I am the current caretaker of the meteorite
specimens I currently posses which will be past on to future generations. It
is my job with that collection to try to preserve it best I can.

--AL Mitterling

Mitterling Meteorites