[meteorite-list] Point of Diminishing returns (Slice thickness)?

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 15:38:25 -0800 (PST)

There is a point that a specimen will easily break if cut too thin. Some
material can be cut to 1mm thick but cutting losses can mount up to over 60%
even when using a wire saw after applying a polish. We had over 50% cutting loss
on Martian meteorite NWA 1195 which was cut on a diamond wafer saw and then
diamond lapped on both sides. I think a 2 to 2.5mm cut is reasonable on most
ultra rare material if polished on both sides. The thickness has to be greater
on friable material like Nakhlites otherwise you will receive a pile of crumbs.
It also has to be thicker on large specimens to support the weight on a display
easel.

Most collectors go by the price per gram first so dealers who cut ultra-thin
will take a loss when weight is the main consideration. I know that the
weight-to-surface area ratio is a secondary consideration for most collectors
due to experience.

There are other factors like a decent polish being applied, proper preparation
and specimen status including provenance that can affect price.

Best Regards,

Adam