[meteorite-list] Point of Diminishing returns (Slice thickness)?

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 18:24:08 -0500

Hi Richard,

I lack the skills and equipment to produce paper thin slices. I have
only seen a few slices less than 1mm thick that were not too fragile
to handle. As a collector, my preference for thick versus thin varies
from specimen to specimen and type to type. Some types I would prefer
a thin slice that shows lots of surface features - like an expensive
brecciated fall or a pallasite. Other times, I would want a thick
slice with a complete rim of fusion crust along the edge. So I don't
have a strong preference one way or the other.

A while back, I purchased a thin slice of a Martian. It was paper
thin and certainly less than 1mm, and it was almost transparent. In a
membrane box, I could hold it up to a bright light, and it would glow
beautifully.

As a cutter, if I am using a super-thin .006" blade, the amount of
cutting loss is negligible to start with, so making thin slices is not
so much a matter of loss as it is labor and precision. Super-thin
slices tend to break easily, either during cutting or during polishing
afterwards. The vast majority of my slices are 1mm or thicker - I have
a poor track record with trying to make the very thin cuts.

Best regards,

MikeG

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com