[meteorite-list] How Do We Name Asteroids?

From: Dan Furlan <danfurlan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 15:39:53 -0400

When an asteroid is discovered it is given a provisional name. The
letter after the year designates the half-moon period within the year
it was found 'A' would be for the half of january, 'B' for the second
half and so on. For instance, the "E" in 1981 ES4 indicates it was
discovered in the first half of march. The second letter plus the
number denote to order of discovery during that half-month period. So
for our example above, it was the 118th asteriod observed in that
two-week period because 4 x 25 (number of letters in the alphabet
minus "I") + 18 ("S") = 118. An asteroid is only formally named once
its orbit has been confirmed; it is given a number, according to the
date when the data on its orbit were determined. Finally, a name can
be assigned. For example (4) Vesta is the 4th asteroid discovered,
while 9007 James Bond is the 9,007th asteroid discovered. Although
there are over 200,000 asteroids with numbers, less then 20,000 have
been given names. The choice of name is up to the discover; however,
it is convention that NEOs (near earth objects) are still given
traditional names whereas main belt asteroids are often named after
individuals, some of whom may or may not be be famous. Once a name
has been chosen by the discoverer the International Astronomical Union
votes to accept and publish the names. Asteroid, have been named
after musicians, such as 1034 Mozartia and 1815 Beethoven, as well as
4147 Lennon, 4148 McArtney, 4149 harrison, and 4150 starr; artists
including including 6676 monet and 4511 rembrant; writers such as 2985
shakespeare and 3047 Goethe; scientists such as 697 galilea 662
newtonia, 8000 Isaac Newton, 1991 darwin and 2001 einstein; plus other
miscellaneous people such as 4295 McCoy.

Courtesy of Meteorites

Daniel furlan