[meteorite-list] Space Shuttle Thermal Protection System (TPS)

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 20:40:00 -0400

Replying to myself - I have just received off list an email confirming
the KSC gift shop does indeed sell fragments of tiles.

I just googled this and found this place selling reasonable sized
authentic tile cuttings for $23 each and with this explanation of the
provenance, which if true, pretty much illustrates the (lack of)
control practices I was talking about in prior posts:

"History of the Tile Material: In October 1978, D.G. Noble was assigned
as Chief of U.S. Air Force Quality Assurance on all NASA contracts at
Lockheed Missile and Space Systems in Sunnyvale, California. The main
NASA contract at that time was for the production of Space Shuttle tile
for the first Space Shuttle to fly in space, Columbia. At that time,
Space Shuttle tile was being thrown into a large discard receptacle.
There were no strict policies in effect at that time, precluding
removal of anything from these receptacles. Noble's interest in the
discarded tile was as an insulating material for a fireplace, so he
removed enough material to accomplish this purpose. A few years later,
a NASA representative came to Noble's home to discuss when and how he
obtained the discarded Space Shuttle tile. NASA concluded that Noble
had obtained the tile legally which could also be sold
commercially.This was reaffirmed in a letter from the Inspector General
for NASA to Michael Noble in June 22, 1994 letter from George T.
Lenehan, Chief Counsel, Office of the Chief Counsel, for Ames Research
Center, NASA. The Space Store legally purchased Mr. Noble's entire
thermal tile material stock in July, 2009."

ref: http://www.thespacestore.com/spshthtiboxs1.html

Kindest wishes
Doug