[meteorite-list] San Juan Capistrano

From: jason utas <jasonutas_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 20:51:49 -0700

Hello All,

I've gotten the impression from the emails on the list that people
believe that this fall consisted of two separate stones. The fall
consisted of a single stone that fell without sonic effects or any
real witnesses; a neighbor recalled hearing a loud noise (when the
stone likely hit the awning that it penetrated), but, had it not been
for the astuteness of the homeowner whose property was damaged, the
fall would likely have gone unnoticed.

The fragment mentioned as having been found in a gutter a month later
was found in the gutter of the same awning that the main mass
penetrated, and most likely broke off of the main mass when it hit the
awning.

It would undoubtedly be worthwhile to look for other fragments in the
surrounding area, but we must put things in perspective. Since
strewn-fields are almost always miles in width, let alone length, the
fact that the relatively tiny development is being resurfaced seems
unimportant, at least to me. The area is bordered by rolling grassy
hills that are in no immediate danger of being developed.

- To say nothing of the fact that the illegal night-time hunting
for/of new Canyon Diablo specimens is apparently widely accepted by
our collecting community.

California's second witnessed fall was heralded by a witnessed, large,
fragmenting fireball; there's more of that to be found, for those who
have the time and are experienced backpackers...

Regards,
Jason