[meteorite-list] "Possible meteorite" found in Newport, Arkansas Area

From: Robert Woolard <meteoritefinder_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 11:04:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hello McCartney,

? You had written in part:

 From: McCartney Taylor <mccartney at blackbearddata.com>
> Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] "Possible meteorite" found in Newport, Arkansas Area
>

> The finder found a hematite nodule.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ********************************

? Thanks for the update. I didn't want to say anything until you went first, but from the very start I bet you and most of us suspected that was not a meteorite. Of course it's hard to say from a small photo like that, but as Michael Farmer said, it SURE wasn't a Newport pallasite, and I thought that even IF it was a meteorite at all, it obviously wasn't very weathered for a find in an Arkansas (wet) field, so it would have to be a fairly new fall. But the main thought that went thru my mind--judging from that photo only as I said and giving the benefit of the doubt that it MIGHT be a meteorite--- was that it looked like a "wind-polished-transported NWA". Sorry to hear it's not a meteorite, but glad to know it was NOT an attempt at a scam.?

? I grew up in NE Ar only about 70 miles from Newport. I've found nearly 10,000 Indian artifacts in that area over the past 4 decades ...? but NO meteorites there, unfortunately.? ;-)? Good luck in YOUR quest, though. I hope you do get the word soon from someone who really has found one!

? Best wishes,
? Robert Woolard