[meteorite-list] clusters of holes on the ground on Mars and Earth -- impact swarms: Dennis Cox: Rich Murray 2011.07.30

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 15:20:34 -0500

> there is no reason to assume those
> in the images from Mars did either...
> Until we?ve been there on the ground.

The reasons are these. The "crater-counters"
have identified 220,000 unambiguous craters
of every age on Mars, exclusive of any volcanic
or ambiguous features, of which there are many
thousands, but they are a tiny minority.

On the Earth, the number of verified craters is
less than 200. I grant you, many more will be
verified, but the Earth should have 2.6 times as
many on its land surface as Mars does, 500,000..

It did, cumulatively, have that half million craters,
but they are gone because the Earth is, as the
freshman geology clich? has it, a "dynamic planet."

On the Earth, the default assumption for a hole
is geological process (of whatever kind). On Mars,
it is Splat! And both are likely right in the first
approximation.

I bet if you checked the geological literature, you
would find that many of these features have been
visited. Perhaps not investigated with impact in
mind, but it should be possible to isolate those
with no obvious terrestrial cause.

About 1.4-mile from my house is a perfectly conical
hole 300 feet across, very fresh and grass-overgrown.
Since it (and I) live on top of an old limestone cliff
in a wet climate, I know perfectly well how it formed.
I have no need to scratch for any shocked materials.

I only hope one doesn't open up under my house...

Sterling K. Webb