[meteorite-list] A gem among weathered unclassified orphans?

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 20:36:38 +0200

Free iron would be even more attracted to a magnet then magnetite.
Hematite isn't attracted to a magnet.
Sulphides can also look like metal grains.

Mineralogy and geology is so much easier with a good microscope. I would
try to scratch the surface of the grains with a needle and watch it
under a microscope while doing it. Then it is fairly easy to determine
the hardness of the grains. Sulfides and oxides are relatively easy to
crack or scratch. Metal usually smears a bit when cut or scratched.

/G?ran